If you want to win a FPV drone racing, there are two important points: one is your superb flight skill, and another is your good FPV drone. About flight skill, you need to do more flight training, but get a good FPV drone is easier than flight skill. So How to build a fast FPV quadcopter?
What’s a good FPV drone? I think a good drone must come with high speed and large acceleration. For racing drones, the acceleration is the most important. As we know FPV drone race track is very short and many track corners. As soon as possible to lift the speed is the most important after the drone pull out the track corner, so it is not a large thrust motor can help you to win a racing, you need a reasonable collocation scheme for your drone.
In the past, I used QAV 250 frame equip with 1806 motors and 3S Lipo battery can fly very fast; and now I use 2205/2305 motor, come with small and light frame, DALRC6045 propeller, the speed get 185km/h. So how to choose the FPV drone parts?
I have used many different motors, and these are some of I used.
- 2205 motors: equip with dalrc5045 3 propeller, their thrust is about 1200g(motor’s weight is about 30g, 4 motor is 120g)
- 2206 motors: I have used it, the weight is too heavy, hard to turn the corner, and the speed is not increased significantly;
- 2305 motors: this is my new test motors, and the thrust is very good, they’re super smooth and have a good power!
I have three requirements for select the frame:
- Light weight;
- Small wind resistance;
- Strong and solid;
In the past, I sued dalrc220 frame because it is strong and solid, and needn’t consider the weight, now I like the new frame xr220, because it is light, strong solid and small wind resistance.
To flight fast, a good lipo battery is very important; low C rate can’t discharge high current, if you want to flight fast, you need at least 60C or more lipo battery. How to choose high discharge rate lipo battery? I recommend you can choose Tattu battery, best power delivery, autonomy, reliability, long life and less sag than any other lipos, and most FPV pilots are using their battery.
I have built many FPV quadcopter, and this is one of my FPV quadcopter’s build parts;
- Frame: XR 220;
- Motor: Tattu 2305 2450KV motor;
- Propeller: dalrc 5045 3 blade propeller;
- ESC: Tattu BLHeli_S 30 AMP ESC;
- Camera: Hsh1177;
- Lipo Battery: Tattu 1300mAh 4S 75C Lipo battery;
- Flight Control: F3